What to Expect
This 16 week course was created by Kevin Rutherford. This course will guide you from being a company driver to an owner-operator, more importantly it'll show you every step and how to do it profitably and correctly the first time. First off, it'll help you ask yourself the right questions to determine whether you want to be an owner-operator. You may come away from this course deciding that being in business for yourself is not for you. If that is the case, then you will have saved yourself tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work. By making the right decision up front, you will avoid the risk of failure and possible bankruptcy that the vast majority of new owner-operators experience. After the initial worksheets and exercises, if you decide that being in business is the right choice for you, then this course will guide you through the following processes:
- Creating a business plan and budget
- Establishing your business entity
- Setting up your accounting and taxes
- Finding the right carrier to begin
- Spec'ing the most profitable truck for your operation
- Finding the right truck for your operation
- Negotiating the best deal possible
- Creative Financing to get your business started and paying for the truck
- Creating a maintenance plan to maximize equipment life and profit
- Creating a one-year plan for upgrading/modifying your equipment
- Building a winning team
- Fuel Optimization
- Fuel Tax
This course will walk you through short exercises and worksheets each week to help bring clarity to your decisions and show you exactly what to do and when to do it. For example:
Do you know how much money you need to get started? This course will show you exactly how to figure that out.
Do you know how much you need to make in net profit each year? You will after you complete this course!
Have you considered the effect of health insurance and retirement on your bottom line? We'll show you what you need to know.
Do you know how to evaluate and compare carrier contracts? We've created a checklist to help you with that process.
The order you complete the steps is critical. We'll explain why, and give you a step-by-step plan.